Sunday, May 18, 2014

You're worth more than gold

The end of the school year is fast approaching and I wanted to make a gift for one of my son's teachers. This teacher made a big impact on him and really changed him for the better. Teachers like that are so important! I decided to make him a treasure type box using the DCWV Gilded stack.With all the gold in this stack, I already had an idea of what I wanted the end result to look like.

First, I started with a latch box I picked up on clearance at Hobby Lobby one day. This is what it looked like when I bought it. A little beat up, but I didn't let that stop me! LOL!

 The inside was in great shape at least!

I cut out a couple of different patterns for the outside of the box. I adhered them using Sookwang tape. I had never tried this kind of adhesive before, but I was greatly impressed with it's strength!

Next, I picked out a saying from the stack and cut it out:

I then scored the edges just a quarter inch on the top and bottom side of the saying.

I adhered the scored edges to the inside of the lid of my treasure box... (Also, you can see in this picture that I added some straps around the outside of the box to give it more texture and make it look more like a treasure box.)

Next, I filled it with gold candy! Yum!

Here is another closer look... 

I added a note to the teacher and put that inside the box as well. It said, "What you taught my son was priceless. You are worth more than GOLD to me!"

I love turning things that may seem like they have seen their last day into something beautiful and useful. Hope you liked this fun teacher gift idea and that it inspired you somehow!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is Pinterest worthy! Since I'm about to try adding this to one of my boards, I thought you should know.

Elizabeth said...

WOW!! Love this creation! It is so dang cute! Love how you added the cute straps to give it that treasured feel! This teacher will be very touched. :) You are so talented and creative!

Ashley Horton said...

What a great project Angela, and beautiful use of the Gold stack!!