Friday, November 22, 2013

DCWV / Clear Scraps Blog Hop!

Today is Day 1 of the the DCWV / Clear Scraps blog hop and I am so excited to be a part of it! If you get lost along the way, just head over to the DCWV blog here.

Sara Andrews: http://sarawandrews.com
Amanda A Phillips: http://oldenough2beakid.blogspot.com
Angela Alexander: http://paperprojectsbyangela.blogspot.com
Thomisia Francois: http://thomisia.blogspot.com
Tessa Elzea Buys: http://precociouspaper.blogspot.com
Rita Barakat: http://letsembellish.blogspot.com
Clear Scraps blog: http://clearscraps.typepad.com

I was given the Clear Scraps acrylic album in the shape of a banner. I immediately knew that I wanted to make a winter banner for my craft area! Using the Jolly Whimsy stack made it even easier since the colors coordinate perfectly! They are not the typical reds and greens you see, but more pinks and lighter greens. Love it!

My banner was fairly simple to make and so I thought I would offer you some easy steps to make one of your own.

1. Cut down some patterned paper banner pieces slightly smaller than the acrylic album pieces.
2. Ink the edges of those pieces if you desire.
3. Adhere the paper to the acrylic banner. (I used a strong double sided tape.)
4. Place 1 doily in the center of each banner.
5. Place snowflake in the middle of each doily. (I cut these out with my Silhouette using the DCWV Glitzy Glitter stack.)
6. Fussy cut out the letters or embellishments you would like to use and place those in the center of the snowflakes. (I stuck these down with some foam tape to give it some dimension.)
7. Rough up the edges of the acrylic banner pieces with some sandpaper, then put glue around the edges and add a little glitter for that extra sparkle!
8. Run some pretty ribbon through the premade holes in the album, leaving enough on each end to use to hang it up.
9. I added some jingle bells to jazz it up a little bit by stringing them through some floss and then tying them between each banner piece.

A closer look at the details:
Isn't the stitching around the letters super cute?


I also tried hanging it up right inside my door on my bench... Loving it here too!

Remember to comment by Sunday, November 24th on each blog during the blog hop for a chance to win a goodie box from DCWV

I also have some blog candy to give away today to one lucky reader! Two of my favorite 6x6 stacks! The Glitzy Glitter stack and Double sided Jewel Tones stack!

Comment below with what brings you JOY for a chance to win! Comments will be open until Sunday the 24th and a winner will be chosen on Monday the 25th. Good luck!

There are 3 more days of blog hopping ahead, so enjoy! A lot of creative ideas headed your way!

Next up is the incredible Thomisia Francois! Thanks for stopping by my blog today and happy hopping!

73 comments:

HawaiianLibrarian said...

This whimsically colorful banner is so joyous! Being surrounded by family brings me JOY. Mahalo for asking.

TracyM #6773 said...

LOVE your BEAUTIFUL banner Angela!!!
The colours really are DELIGHTFUL, Jolly Whimsy is the perfect name for this pretty stack :) THANK YOU for sharing your tutorial - I haven't worked with clear albums before and I think it is FABULOUS how you turned it in to a banner, along with your COOL technique of roughing up the edges and adding glitter!!!
Now, for the question of the day - my husband and all of our extended family bring me JOY, from our 2yo nephew up to my 98yo Grandpa :)
THANK YOU for the inspiration and the chance to win too!!!

Anonymous said...

Love your beautiful banner. I love watching my grandson's face when he first sees what Santa brought.

LauraEva said...

What a cool idea to use your album as a banner!!! awesome!

Chris - Creations in Bloom said...

That banner is super fabulous! I love that you added the jingle bells. So festive! Sweet of you to give the step by step instructions. I think I'd love to make one of these myself. And what brings me joy ... my family first and then Scrapbooking!

Ann said...

Totally awesome, love your banner and you make it look easy peasy!!
Mstgane
Ann

Amanda Phillips said...

Soo Sweet Love it!

Laurie H. said...

Love your banner. I made a "Happy Thanksgiving" one this year. What fun. Thanks for sharing.
scrappinlaurie@yahoo.com

Cathy said...

You did a great job with the banner. I love it hanging over your curtain like that - I may have a spot that needs exactly this!! Thanks for the inspiration. I find Joy in my home that is finally all mine and finally starting to look like I want it.

Jackie said...

I do love those lighter colors.

Cathie in UT said...

How cool is the banner Clear Scraps project! Thanks for hte chance to win

Kim said...

Love the simplicity and durability of the banner!

Vickie said...

AWESOME banner I like the idea of the paper doiley has you background for your snowflakes and letter.



Vickie Bryan

Kathy said...

Joy for me is having all my family together in one place, just having lots of fun and laughs!
Love your banner, Angela....it is fairly simple yet just lovely. I am going to try to get at least one done for the holidays! Thanks for your inspiration!

Elizabeth said...

Love love love this banner! I love the lighter colors too! So cute! The snowflakes are darling and I love that you added some jingle to this cute holiday decor! I am totally going to make one for myself or for gifts! Thanks for the detailed instructions and inspiration!
Joy for me is snuggling with my family on christmas morning!

jordanbev5@yahoo.com said...

What a beautiful banner! Love that you used that burst of gold glitter paper behind each letter to really show each letter off! Great extra embellishing with the stitching and details! You did a wonderful job! So festive and pretty!

Unknown said...

Your banner is so cute. You did a wonderful job creating it, I can see something like that in my craft room. I love the lighter red and lighter green paper, too. It looks like such a fun stack. Thanks for the opportunity to win the 6x6 stacks, too.

Janis said...

Absolutely love the doilies beneath your letters.....reminds me of pretty snowflakes. Beautiful things, like dazzling snowflakes, bring me JOY!!

How lovely of you to offer blog candy. You did not require us to follow you in order to be eligible (which I GREATLY appreciate!!!) but I am a brand-new follower of yours by Google Friend, nonetheless. Yippee!!!!
<3 J

jwoolbright at gmail dot com

Stacy H-W said...

Love your banner! thanks for showing how you made it. Lots of things bring me joy. Your project for one!ha My family brings me the greatest joy. Hopping along... Stacy H-W Stacyhwatson(at)aol(dot)com

Kathy W said...

Very nice work on the banner. What brought me joy recently was seeing my 6-month-old grandnephew last week. So cute and smiley!

Auror Willow said...

Super cute banner! Everything that has to deal with Christmas brings me joy. i get so excited about the decorations, the prep work, the music, and everything else that comes along with the Christmas season!

Unknown said...

Awesome!!

Cindy said...

I love your banner. Creating gifts for family and decorations for my home gives me joy!

Unknown said...

My family & friends bring me joy all year long! I love the colors you used on your banner :)

ScrappinLita said...

Love your banner! I would place it wherever I spend the most time, so I could see it more often.

Decorating my home for the holidays brings me so much joy. I love all the twinkling lights.

Beth F. said...

What a gorgeous banner! I love the touch of doilies and snowflakes...totally my style :)
Beth
Beth's Beauties

Laura S Reading said...

Blog hopping brings me joy!
Not only for the chance to win but to meet talented artists such as yourself.

VAWM said...

Oh my goodness, this is so cute! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I love your banner and my mother would love it because its her name!! My family brings me joy during the holiday, it wouldn't be the same without them. Oh and I get plenty of Joy from the décor!

Wendy said...

What a darling project...I LOVE your work! My six adorable grandchildren are what bring me the most joy!

CardsbyMarianne.blogspt.com said...

I really love what you did with your banner! The colours are just gorgeous. What brings me JOY is spending time in my craft room creating...truly.

Kim M. said...

Love the banner! What brings me JOY is spending time with my family. We're a bit on the wacky side so getting together is good for lots of laughs!

Angela said...

Super cute! Great job with the banner.
My kids smiles and hugs bring me joy and crafting. Thanks!

Miss Misi said...

This is cool as decor. Cute!

Tina M said...

So So cute! I love your banner :) the colors are super fun :)
tfs

scrapqueen141 said...

Your banner turned out so great, it's beautiful!

cghundley said...

Very fun and cute
banner. My pets
bring me lots of
joy, everyday!
Carla from Utah

cdm317 said...

I am really enjoying this hop. Your banner is incredible!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful colors in the banner, the flakes are gorgeous.
This is a must have stack.

Francine said...

Beautiful banner and it does look super easy! You are absolutely right that it perfectly blends with your space too!

DonnaSue said...

Cute idea to use for home décor!

Robin B. said...

Super cute banner! I love the variety of patterns, thanks for sharing.

Jean Bullock said...

Beautiful banner. So well made and I love the little jingle bells too.

Percilla Gurule said...

I love the colors that you used on your banner.
What a great stack

Sue D said...

Very pretty colors and patterns on your banner.
My grandchildren brought me joy today!
slrdowney at hotmail dot com

cbcootn said...

Nothing says we are celebrating than a beautiful banner and this one is so very cute the colors just all blend so well together and the doilies with the snowflake just make them pop and the large cut banner cut just makes it stand out that much more. May You & Yours have a Very Merry Christmas and Thanksgiving.

Iris said...

This is beautiful - love the pink and green combo.
isoscia at aol dot com

Ashley Horton said...

Such a great project Angela!! You really rocked this banner and it looks so cute hanging in both places!

Unknown said...

Wow, love the banner and cheerful colors! Hugs

joy said...

Since my name is Joy, I decorate with a lot of things that have that word on it! This beautiful banner would fit right in!!

My family brings me JOY all year round, but especially at Christmas. Thank you for the chance to win some beautiful paper stacks from DCWV.

craftymom205 said...

Love the banner.

craftymom205 at yahoo dot com

Golden Goddess Designs said...

wow! great project! it would look lovely in my niece's room with a different name! LOL!

Meredith said...

Spending time with my friends and family brings me joy!

Meredith245 at yahoo dot com

Craft Paper said...

Cute idea turning an album into a banner! Great project idea!!

Dana Desmond said...

Never would have though to use them as a banner. Great idea.

Brandi Matos said...

B-E-A-Utiful banner!!!! Lovely choice of papers and the doilies are FANTASTIC!!!!! Thanks soooo much for sharing :-)

Brandi Matos said...

B-E-A-Utiful banner!!!! Lovely choice of papers and the doilies are FANTASTIC!!!!! Thanks soooo much for sharing :-)

Yolanda said...

I love your banner. I get joy from trying new things. Finishing any craft project makes me happy.

michellec said...

Now that's a banner worth making!

Unknown said...

I really like the colors of your banner, and the stitching IS really cute! I like how you have many layers and each layer compliments the other. Something that gives me joy is my family. It may sound like a "generic" answer, but as long as I have my husband and two children in my life, I feel I can do anything, and my world is bigger with them in it :)

Sandra said...

I love your banner. It's just perfect for the holiday. What brings me joy? This has been a difficult year because my Dad passed away on July 29. My children's other Grandfather, who I loved and respected passed away five days later. One month later, my only niece on my children's Dad's side passed away at age 32 She left a husband and a 5 year old son behind. It would be so easy to dwell in the sorrow of these losses but they have reminded me to find joy in ny family and friends. We never know how much time we have with those we care about so I hold onto the joy that comes from a husband who loves me, children I cherish and Grandchildren I adore. I have found that if you have a spirit of thankfulness, you will find joy. God bless.

WhoMom said...

Adorable! Love the pinks and greens.

Karen Sue said...

What a pretty banner, looking at so many wonderful projects brings me joy, thanks for all the inspiration.

Carrie said...

beautiful banner!!!

arlsmom aka Lynda said...

love the colors on your banner!!!

ionabunny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ionabunny said...

Love your colours. Thanks for the tutorial and the tips. My family brings me joy. Great banner

JennyKozar said...

Love the soft colors of this - banners are so fun!!

Anonymous said...

I get joy when I create something (a card or gift) and can present it to my friends or family. It makes me happy to know I made them something special. Love the banner. It looks good everywhere.

Memories by Manda said...

Clear Banners are such a cool idea! Great project.

Liz O. said...

lovely banner Angela!TFS
have a wonderful day!
Liz O.
unikebyyes{at}yahoo{dot}com

Adora Concepcion said...

beautiful banner!

Renee said...

Angela, your banner is so beautiful. I really love it. Thank you for sharing!!